In honor of National Kale Day, I’m not posting anything kale. Heck, it was our 8th anniversary yesterday so there was cause for chocolate and celebration in our house. I read a great quote recently by Oprah “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate” Wouldn’t it be fun if we celebrated even small victories everyday? I like that idea. I think that’s why I like making birthdays such a big deal. Why not?! We are here. We are living. Let’s celebrate. Just not with Kale.
This recipe is derived from Post Punk Kitchen’s Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf. I just tweaked a few ingredients to make it not so sweet and gluten free.
Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf
Recipe type: Bread
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or canola oil)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water, divided
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups gluten free, all purpose flour (I used King Arthur's)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
- Put applesauce, coconut oil and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- Measure out ⅓ cup boiling water and pour into the bowl with the chocolate mixture, mixing quickly to make a smooth chocolate sauce.
- Add pumpkin, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Dump about half of the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and gently stir just to incorporate, then measure out 1 tablespoon of boiling water and stir again.
- Now add the rest of the flour mixture and another tablespoon of boiling water and stir just until smooth. Do not to overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes to an hour.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then invert pan and place loaf on a cooling rack to cool most of the way.