My Grandma used to say “If you aren’t having fun, it’s your own damn fault.” Well, it’s Halloween tomorrow and what I consider the fun part is eating enough sugar your teeth curl. With my dietary restrictions, Halloween candy is in general a no-no, so I made my own sugary delight.
This is NOT my creation but instead a recipe from my favorite vegan chef, Isa Chandra and her book Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. It’s THE BEST if you are looking for dairy-free treats of all kinds. Her website, Post Punk Kitchen is a great source too. If you don’t like pecans, I’m sure almonds or macadamias could work just as well. Hope you all have a fun and safe Halloween!
- 2 cups pecans, divided
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted (Enjoy Life is dairy free)
- Place 1 cup of the pecans in a processor into coarse crumbs
- Roughly chop the other cup
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix together the rice syrup, salt and vanilla
- Mix in the pecan crumbs and chopped pecans
- Add the melted chocolate
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto it
- Place the cookies in the fridge for one hour to set. If it's warm outside, keep them refrigerated, otherwise they should be fine at room temp