Our family lives on eggs. We eat them about every other day for breakfast. They are packed with so many good nutrients and they keep me full all morning. Long gone are the days of cereal or peanut butter toast…shit! I haven’t thought about that in months. Peanut butter toast was my saving grace when I was pregnant AND when I was nursing. I would make it in the middle of the night when I was starving. Ugh.
Ok…back to the main event here.
Quiche takes far less work than you’d think. Plus, you can freeze it for later. Or another option is to do crust-less muffins which would cut cooking time to about 30 minutes versus 45. I used a dairy-free, gluten-free frozen crust from Wholly Wholesome purchased from Whole Foods. I let that thaw for 10 minutes and baked it for 10 minutes before adding the remaining ingredients.
This recipe is completely dairy and gluten free but for all you cheese-lovers, gruyere would be so lovely on this one.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup canned coconut cream
- 4 slices of bacon
- ½ Tablespoon oil
- ½ medium sliced onion
- 1 Tablespoon fresh diced sage
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Prepare crust according to package
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Meanwhile render bacon and slice onion
- Sauté the onion in oil at medium heat for about 10 minutes or until translucent
- Whisk eggs, coconut cream and sage together
- Once crust is cooled slightly, cut bacon into small stripes and place in crust
- Add onion and spinach leaves
- Carefully fill the crust with the egg mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean