You may have noticed a trend on my blog. Lots of Mexican food. It’s my favorite cuisine and pretty easy to figure out the best flavors for recipe developing. Plus, when it’s warm out, the light flavors taste so good with all the fresh produce. It IS still summer!
I came up with this super recipe after numerous attempts at a red salsa version that I wasn’t super excited about. I realized with chicken, I prefer the lime and jalepeno flavors, hence the salsa verde. Big plus, it goes great with my corn recipe!
Verde Shredded Chicken
Recipe type: Entree
- 3 lbs of chicken (a mix of white and dark is ideal)
- 1 jar of Trader Joes Salsa Verde (or any green salsa would do)
- 2 teaspoons diced shallots
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup broth, I used vegetable
- (optional) 1 small serrano or jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Cook for 6 hours for the slow cooker. Set Instant Pot to 20 minutes and let it naturally release.
- Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, shred with a fork and spread out the meat onto a cookies sheet.
- Pour half the leftover juices on to the chicken and broil at 500° for about 10-15 or until the chicken juices cook down and it gets a little crispy