It’s been too long since I’ve posted anything green. The holidays kind of got the best of me and to be honest, I’ve been in a bit of a funk ever since. I was certain all this uber clean eating and less alcohol would take care of it but I think this deep freeze is to blame. The next few days are supposed to be better (like 15 degrees instead of -15 degrees for all you non-northerners). Hopefully a little child’s play like sledding or skating will take care of these blahs. That and finishing up the maddening documentary, Making a Murder. I go to bed pissed off almost every night we watch it. When does New Girl start? Ok, I’ll stop my whining now.
I’ve been hesitant to post salad recipes because they are a no brainer in my world. I make them often so I’ve had a lot of practice however, I’ve been told to keep giving ideas. If you want to substitute things like pears for the beets or pecans for the pistachios, that would also make a lovely combination. Remember the formula, something sweet or tangy, something salty, something crunchy and of course, the greens.
- 3½ cups field greens or green mix of any variety
- 1 cooked chicken thigh or small breast, sliced
- 1 large already cooked beet, diced (jarred or steamed work too)
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios, salted
- 1 Tablespoon oil of choice, I used Pistachio
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, I used stone ground
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients together
- Toss salad ingredients together with vinaigrette