I’m feeling uber-inspired these last few days. Last night I listened to J. Kenzi Lopez-Alt on the Freaknomics podcast about the science of food and Jo Robinson talk about the nutrition of food. Both really great conversations that inspired me to immediately buy their books, The Food Lab and Eating on the Wild Side. Lopez-Alt’s site Serious Eats has been a great resource for me when trying to find the best way to prepare something. Check it out if you feeling like geeking out on food.
Since sickness has been spreading slowly through my family these last few weeks, I’ve been pushing citrus down their throats. Grapefruit being one. I had heard of broiled grapefruit some time ago but had never tried making it. One try was all it took for me to fall in love.
- ½ of a grapefruit, cut crosswise
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional, omit for whole30)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 sprig of mint
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut a thin slice of the bottom rind so the grapefruit stands upright. Cut around the meat of the grapefruit to loosen the segments from the rind.
- Drizzle with the honey and place upright on a cookie sheet.
- Place in oven about 5 inches from the heat source.
- Broil for about 4 minutes.
- Drizzle with coconut cream and garnish with mint.