So many appetizers have cheese in them. Spinach artichoke dip, crab dip, cheese and crackers, cheese balls, cheese, cheese, cheese. That’s why I made these. I wanted something a little more exciting and filling than the usual raw veggies and olives for all of us dairy-, gluten-free-ers?
This is a great last minute appetizer and a play on the classic bacon wrapped chestnuts. All you need are these three ingredients and some toothpicks. To make Whole30 compliant, make sure your bacon is sugar-free.
- 1 granny smith apple or another tart variety, sliced into small triangles
- 6 slices of thick bacon
- 12 dried mission figs, stems removed and cut in half
- Render the bacon slices on the stove for 10 minutes over medium heat, flipping after 5 minutes
- While cooking slice the apple and prepare the dried figs
- Once back is cooked to your preference, cool on a plate with a paper towel
- Cut each slice into 4 pieces cross-wise
- Assemble the bites apple, bacon and fig on top and pierce with a toothpick