I had pretty much given up on gravy. My first attempt at making it was unappealing and after becoming lactose intolerant, potatoes were never the same so I gave it up. It was until recently I started to miss it. My husband and I had made a pre-Thanksgiving meal a few Sundays ago just for fun and I did all the fixings gluten and dairy free with ease, including the potatoes (I’ll post the recipe someday). I longed for a gravy to go with these heaping mashers so I did some digging for vegan gravy recipes. The few I found called for the fake butter that contain soy and lots of other things I can’t pronounce. So, I challenged myself to come up with my own creation. Five simple ingredients is all it took. The gravy goes great on any cut of meat, potatoes, squash, root mash, you name it. A perfect Thanksgiving addition.
Note the mashed sweet potatoes need to be made ahead or purchase the frozen variety from Trader Joes.
- ½ T coconut oil
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme or sage
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Sauté the lightly salted mushrooms until softened on medium heat, about 8 minutes
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes and herbs
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes
- Transfer to a deep bowl and use an immersion blender to blend mushrooms and thicken the gravy
- Salt and pepper liberally